Births to Mothers Born Outside the UK
• Mothers country of birth is recorded at birth registration.
• Not all women born outside the UK will be recent in-migrants; similarly, UK born mothers include the children of earlier in-migrants (the second and third generation).
• In Dudley the proportion of births to Mothers born outside the UK saw a small increase between 2001 and 2006 from 10.4% to 14% respectively.
• From 2006 to 2018 the proportion has been relatively stable, fluctuating between 12.2% and 14.4%.
Births to Mothers Born Outside the UK Compared to England
• The proportion of births in England to mothers born outside the UK has been consistently greater than that for Dudley.
• In 2001 the proportion for England was 17.1; following a sustained increase this had reached 29.2% by 2017 followed by a small decrease to 29.1% in 2018.
• The growth in the proportion at the England level is in contrast to the relative stability seen in the figures for Dudley.